A very small part of our yard has been a bit of an eye sore for several years now. My grandma had an unkept forsythia bush there. Due to birds liking it, wild raspberry vines began to grow amongst the bush. I love wild raspberries so when we took over the house we left the area alone. I wanted to keep the bush and the vines, but somehow seperate them. I just wasn’t sure how to do it and didn’t seem to have time to work with it. 

Last year while I was on maternity leave after Savannah was born, I began work on it. I slowly and carefully cleared dead brush out of the area. I tried to leave clustered vines alone and only take dead forsythia branches. Travis helped and cleared some too. We worked through over half of the mess. It made the area considerable better, but there was still work that needed to be done. 

Now, I have finally finished clearing it out! I cut out the rest of the bush and vines that we didn’t want. As I cleared around areas of vines that I wanted to keep, I used leftover electric fence posts and baling twine to tie them up. It kept them out of the way for pruning the rest and will make mowing around them so much easier. I wanted to make a perminate version with wood and lattice work to match the garden fence, but I didn’t want to wait for supplies and put off cleaning it up any longer. I made due with what I had to make a temporary fix. It is one that can be easily be taken down and replaced. 

An interesting fact about both the forsythia and the vines that I did not know until this project: they both spread runners. When I realized this, it made sense why the area was such a tangled mess. I used it to my advantage too. Two of the clusters of vines were a little thin. On one, it had a branch that was long enough to be seeking to root. I ran it down through the twine so it will grow towards the ground where I want it to grow. Then on both this cluster and another, I planted a couple starts I had saved from discarded branches that were beginning to root. I am hoping they do well. I also saved a part of the forsythia (it’s not in the picture because it’s to the far left) and a start that I planted in a pot.