The squash bugs may have picked a particularly bad day to show up on my two prettiest squash plants. It has been a long, frustrating, mostly-unproductive day and (even though it is ending on a good note) I’ve been taking it out on the bugs I found. 

I stirred up a solution of about 20 drops peppermint essential oil in like 8 ounces of water. I then proceeded to spray almost all of it on the two plants. I concentrated on the base stem, root and surrounding mulch. As they moved away from what they obviously didn’t like, I began trying to crush them. I discovered a half-inch,slightly-pointed stick on the ground that worked effectively for the job. It was small enough to reach between stems. I spent every bit of 20-30 minutes out terrorizing them. 

I will look the plants over good in the morning. Hopefully, I made a dent at least. I will probably be repeating the process again. We shall see if it makes a difference this year. 

Advertisements